Virginia real estate Broker License by reciprocity

A Virginia real estate broker is a higher form of a licensee compared to a real estate agent which Virginia refers to as a salesperson.  A Virginia broker can run their own business as a sole proprietor or be the principal broker of a real estate company. One can also be an associate broker and still work under the supervision of a principal broker.  Here is a link to the Virginia Real Estate Board website  (page with forms for Brokers).  Requirements to get a Virginia broker license by reciprocity:

1- Active broker license in a state other than Virginia
Note:  You must have been actively engaged as a licensee (40 hours/week) for at least 36 months of the most recent 48 months. This can be provided simply by providing a signed Experience Verification Form that is available on the VA Board website. 
2- Proof of broker pre-license course in your state with minimum 180 hours
Note: If less than 180 hours in your state, you will need to take enough hours to meet the Virginia 180 hour requirement.  There are 4 courses of 45 hours each.
Link to the broker pre-license courses if needed. Scroll down the page to see individual 45-hour courses.
Note:  This  link includes individual 45 hour courses.  If you need only a certain number of hours of individual courses, be sure that you select the 45 hour “Brokerage” course which is absolutely mandatory by the Real Estate Board.
You should check with the Real Estate Board to confirm what courses you need and how many hours.  Real Estate Brokerage is a required course. The other courses are broker-specific:  Finance, Appraisal and Real Estate Law.  While the Board allows you to take 2 of the broker-specific and 1 broker-related course (that we don’t offer), we find it best to take all 3 of the broker-specific courses.  These must be broker pre-license courses, not continuing education. 

Steps to take to get your VA broker license by reciprocity
1- You need to sign up for the Virginia portion of the PSI broker exam.
For reference:  Link to PSI website – Virginia broker page.
Note:  You will need to fax or mail the application to take the PSI exam. The fax form is on the PSI website – click the candidate handbook.  Fax to PSI at 702-932-2666. Include a copy of your out-of -state license.  PSI will send you authorization to sign up for the exam.
2-  You need to study for the VA portion of the PSI broker exam.
Note:  Here is a link to the Virginia exam prep online courses and books that you will need to use to study for the Virginia portion of the PSI real estate exam that you will need.   Our instructor recommends the Virginia Practice and Law book and the online Virginia exam prep (lots of practice exam questions and answers).
3- You need to send in the DPOR Broker License Application.
Note:  Link to Board web page with the license app.
You will need to include an original certificate of your active license in your state(s).  Contact your real estate board or commission for that.  If the certificate does not state the 180 hours, you will also need to contact the school for an original proof of broker pre-license courses.
You either sign up a sole proprietor (or option to start a company by separate application) or you can work as a broker under a principal broker.  Our instructor is a Virginia broker and can answer questions on any of that.

PSI Broker Exam Questions:  The PSI broker exam has the same subjects as a salesperson exam, but a different number of questions for each subject.  For example, the broker exam has 7 questions on escrow (2 for salespersons).
Here is a pdf showing number of questions on each topic of the VA broker exam by PSI that our instructor copied and marked up. Broker-VA-PSI-state

 The above requirements are fully stated on the Broker License by Reciprocity Application to the Real Estate Board as found on the DPOR website page for brokers. Questions?
You may contact our instructor Paul Hartke online or by calling his office at 703-860-4600 ext 411 (He is the broker of National Realty in Northern Virginia.)
You may contact the Virginia Real Estate Board to verify your requirements at (804) 367-8526.

Washington DC anor Maryland license:  After you are licensed in Virginia , you can get a Washington DC or Maryland license by reciprocity, check the DC reciprocity page or the MD reciprocity license page.