License by Reciprocity in DC

Get a DC Real Estate License by Reciprocity

What are the requirements to get your real estate license by reciprocity in Washington, DC?   If you have an active real estate license in a state other than Washington, DC, you may be able to get a DC license by reciprocity.  

Virginia and Maryland applicants can get a license by reciprocity. You need to complete a 3 hour DC Fair Housing course.  You will need certification of your Virginia or Maryland license.  You will need to pass the DC portion of the PSI exam.   
Applicants licensed in other states can get a DC license by an endorsement application, which is very a similar to reciprocity.  But in addition to the above, you will also need proof of your pre-license 60 hours in your state.  Brokers need to prove 135 hours plus 2 years of sales experience preceding the application. 

Washington DC uses PSI  testing service for the license exam.  Their website has a link to the DC candidate handbook (pdf).  Open that pdf and see the sections on reciprocity.  That has much of the information you need. But our summary may help. 

How do you get a reciprocal DC real estate license?
Here is a summary of steps. 
1. Take the required 3 hour DC Fair Housing course .  You can take the approved 3 hour Fair Housing course online.    The Fair Housing continuing education course is approved for satisfying the course needed for license by reciprocity.
Sign up for the 3 hour Fair Housing course online
The Fair Housing course is required for reciprocal license.

2.  You will need a certification of your license for each state where licensed. It must be an original and must be recent (within 90 days of application).   See below to request that certification for your currently licensed states.
Request Virginia certification of license- Click here
NOTE: If the above link does not work, go to the VA DPOR website here and scroll down to the bottom of the page for the certification request form.
Fill out the VA form and send it by mail.
Request Maryland certification of license – Click here.
Log in to your MD license and request it online.
Other states:  Check your state board or commission site to get the certification.

3. Study for the DC portion of the official license exam.  You may take the online DC real estate exam prep course to study.   Sign up for the District of Columbia exam prep Portion Only.  There is a link on the DC Commission website that has the actual statute with laws and regulations.  You can use that, but it is very dry reading of DC laws in lawyer type language.  The exam prep is better.
Sign up for the online DC real estate exam prep course
See the DC portion only course.  Use promo code if available.

4. Schedule the DC portion of the exam with PSI at You will need to create an account and then sign up for the DC (“state portion”) of the PSI exam.  You can also call them to schedule 800-733-9267 but it takes a while to get an answer on the phone.  Note: PSI is located in Las Vegas.   You will need a copy of your current license to take the DC portion of the exam. Make sure you request only the DC portion of the exam and be sure it is for salesperson (or broker it that’s the case).

5. Apply for your DC license with the District of Columbia Real Estate Commission.  Apply here on the DC Real Estate Commission website. (Click Applicants section)  After passing the PSI exam, you can go to the DC Commission site and register for a new account.    After creating your account go to the login page at and fill out the form and pay the DC real estate license application fee.
Note:  A DC salesperson must sign up and work under a licensed DC broker.

This summary was prepared by Paul Hartke, a licensed broker in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, DC.   This is only a summary.  The full details can be found at  Paul Hartke and his brother Keith own National Realty based in Reston, VA with over 140 agents in VA, MD and DC.   
Paul is a licensed Virginia real estate instructor and a lawyer.   He is available to discuss your particular situation.  Contact Paul online here.

A DC real estate agent license requires you join a broker licensed in DC.
Need a broker licensed in VA, MD and DC? 
Paul Hartke, Principal Broker, National Realty
Ofiice 703-860-4600 ext 411  Cell 703-675-5550
Agent Information:

Any other questions?
DC Real Estate Commission at 866-270-9817 or
Or contact Act Web Real Estate School online or 703-476-1747

If you are NOT licensed in Virginia or another state and wish to get a DC license, you will need to take the District of Columbia real estate pre-license course which can be taken with the online DC pre-license course here.