License by Reciprocity in VA

How to get a Virginia real estate license by reciprocity

How to become a real estate agent if you have an active license in a different state.

If you are licensed in another state (an active license), you can usually apply for a Virginia license by reciprocity. Here is our “super quick” summary of how to get a VA license by reciprocity (subject to other basic requirements)

1.  Register for the PSI exam Virginia portion only
This is the registration form you need. pdf format
PSI Reciprocity Registration Form – Virginia
Note: Fill out that form (leave #10 and 12 blank) and fax or mail it to PSI with a copy of your active license in your current state.  PSI approves you and you can schedule your VA portion of the state PSI exam.

Be sure to click the reciprocity box.  You can only mail or fax the application to DPOR in with a copy of your current real estate license in your state.  You can check with our instructor who is also a Virginia broker in VA, MD and DC to ask about your particular situation.

2.  Study for the Virginia portion of the real estate exam.  
How to study for the Virginia portion of the PSI exam.

a.  Online VA real estate exam prep:  Select the Virginia portion.  This includes a very large number of practice exam questions and answers.  No reading sections or index.  But it has a rating to say whether you are ready for the exam based on your practice exam answers.
b.  Virginia exam prep books:  We suggest the Virginia Law and Practice book.  You can order it online or pick it up at our office in Reston, VA.  This book has table of contents, chapters, index and lots of practice exam questions.  There is also an exam prep book that has only practice exam questions but also may be helpful.
c.  Live In-person exam prep:  If you live in Northern Virginia (or you can travel to our Reston office), you may consider a $100 morning session one-on-one with our instructor (active Virginia broker) who provides a Virginia specific practice exam, a personal exam review, a discussion of and  his own “Fast Pass the PSI Exam” summary of the subjects you have on the Virginia portion of the PSI exam.  Fee also includes the best real estate exam prep book for Virginia called Virginia Practice and Law.

3.  Take and pass the Virginia state portion of the PSI exam.  After you have mailed or faxed in your exam registration, you will get an email authorizing you to take the VA portion of the PSI exam.  The exam is $60.  Schedule that at a location on the website.  PSI has sites in major cities in Virginia- Northern VA (Vienna/Tysons Corner), Richmond, Virginia Beach, Charlottesville, Roanoke.  You need 75% to pass. Locations are listed on the website.

4.  Get an original certification of your current active out-of-state license from your state.  You will need this to submit it along with your license application to the Virginia Real Estate Board with your Virginia broker after you pass the PSI exam. It needs to be dated within 45 days of your license application.

5.  Proof of pre-license education 60 hours.  When you submit your application with your broker, you might need original or certified proof of the completion of 60 hours of real estate education (180 hours for brokers) similar to the education requirements in Virginia.  However, many states (such as Maryland for example) include the proof of education and number of hours on the license certification.  In that case, you’re ok and likely don’t need anything to prove your 60 hours of pre-license education.

6.  Apply for your license with a licensed VA broker with the application form provided on the DPOR website or as provided by your broker.   

Of course the above is the quick summary list. If needed,  you may want to look at the some more details on the technical requirements as they state on the DPOR website. Yes, you can also see the DPOR site for regulations for full details. Or get in touch with us on our contact form or 703-476-1747. OR contact the RE Board at 804-367-8526.

Virginia License by Reciprocity Requirements

  • Currently licensed in another state in good standing
    Submit the PSI exam registration form by fax (or mail).
    The form and full instructions are at
  • Take the Virginia portion of the PSI exam. Locations on their website.After you pass the Va portion of the PSI exam, you will need to have these to submit your license application.·
  • Provide proof of education substantially equivalent to the Virginia requirements (60 hour pre-license course). You will need an original or certified transcript or certificate of course completion. However, as noted, many states (such as Maryland) include this on the license certification.· 
  • Provide certificate of licensure or letter of good standing from each state where licensed dated within the last 45 days of your application. It must show license number, date of licensure, expiration date, how obtained (exam vs reciprocity) and any disciplinary matters.
  • Meet all the other requirements such as 18 years old, high school or GED, criminal background disclosure, etc. ·

BROKERS ONLY: See additional requirements for Virginia broker license by reciprocity. Contact us or see the full regulations regarding reciprocity for a Virginia license for details.

This is a summary. Our instructor always advises anyone applying by reciprocity to contact the Virginia Real Estate Board to confirm your situation and any details regarding your particular situation. The Board can be contacted at 804-367-8526.  To prepare for the exam, please see the materials and information above or on our exam prep page.

There are books and an online exam prep. Some books are in stock in our office. And our instructor does have a live exam prep if you are near Reston, VA.  Any questions, let us know online or call us at 703-476-1747. Paul, our instructor, also has some great notes to help you pass the Virginia portion of the PSI exam. Our instructor, Paul Hartke is the principal broker and co-owner of National Realty, a Virginia real estate company in Northern Virginia and licensed in VA, MD and DC.

If you would like to discuss working with National Realty, contact Paul at (703) 860-4600 ext 411 or visit Paul practiced as a lawyer starting in 1981 prior to full time real estate career in 1995. His company currently has over 100 agents and is actively seeking additional agents. His knowledge of real estate laws and marketing strategies have helped many potential and current agents to advance their real estate careers. Paul’s wife, Constance, runs the administrative portion of the real estate school.Note: Salespersons must work under a broker. Brokers can work under a broker (associate broker) or apply as a principal broker.You likely do NOT need to take a course unless you prefer that to the exam prep materials on our website. Paul, our instructor, also has exam prep books in our Reston office, plus his own VA exam prep “Pass the Exam” tips and VA legal summary.Note: If you are already licensed in Virginia and looking to get a Washington DC or Maryland license by reciprocity, check the DC reciprocity page or