License by Reciprocity in MD

How to get a Maryland Real Estate License by Reciprocity

You may get your real estate license in Maryland by reciprocity.   Technically, only Pennsylvania and Oklahoma allow a license by reciprocity .  But if you are licensed in any other state, you can apply for an out of state waiver, so it is almost the same except you will need to take the Maryland portion of the PSI exam.   For the sake of convenience, we will call all states as having reciprocity with Maryland. 
Note: This is only for agents actively licensed in another state.  If you are not licensed in another state, sign up for the Maryland online pre-license course.

You will need to take the Maryland portion of the PSI exam. You may use these instructions if licensed in Virginia or another state. Get certification for each state where licensed.

Here are the steps for Virginia licensed agents.  Other states will be similar.
1- Request your Virginia certification of license- Click here. NOTE: If licensed in another state, you will need to find the certification of license/history on your state Board or Commission website.  It must be dated within 30 days of sending it to the MD Commission. It must be an original, not a copy.
2- Send in a letter along with the certification of your Virginia license requesting to take the MD portion of the PSI exam.  Here is a sample letter to the Maryland Real Estate Commission.  Add your contact information and your out of state real estate license number.  Maryland needs the original out of state license certification in addition to the cover letter.  It has to be mailed.  Yes, they don’t have a way to do it online but someday it may change. 
3- The Maryland Real Estate Commission will then authorize you to take the Maryland portion of the PSI license exam.  PSI runs the licensing exams for many states. Details at There are 30 questions for MD salesperson (40 for brokers).  PSI has multiple sites in Maryland to take the exam, so check the PSI website for the site you prefer.  

MD Exam prep- How to study for the MD portion of the PSI exam: You need to pass the state portion of the PSI exam.

1- Take the Maryland real estate exam prep online course.  It is for the MD Portion ONLY, not national.   This is a bank of practice question and answers with explanations.  The course is called Maryland Real Estate Drill and Practice QBank.
and / or 
2- You can also buy the Maryland Real Estate Practice and Law book if you prefer printed material.  It includes chapters plus lots of MD practice exams with questions and answers.

Maryland Real Estate Commission website – Phone 41-=230-6230
Commission instructions for MD license by reciprocity – summarized on this page
PSI Maryland salesperson / agent real estate license page with PSI MD handbook.

NOTE: If you are NOT licensed in Virginia or another state and wish to get a Maryland license, you will need to take the DC license course.  The Maryland real estate pre-licensing course is available here.

Questions? Contact the MD commission or contact our instructor, Paul Hartke, who is a licensed broker in VA, MD and DC. and the principal broker of National Realty, licensed in all 3 areas. He is a licensed Virginia real estate instructor but has knowledge of  all DC area real estate laws as he is also a lawyer.