License by Reciprocity in DC

Get a DC Real Estate License by Reciprocity

This information may also apply to all out of state licensees who want to get a real estate license in Washington, D.C.

Note: If you are NOT licensed another state, you would need to take the DC real estate license course
If you are already licensed. in Virginia and Maryland licensees (if MD license issued 1996 to date) , you can apply for your DC real estate license by reciprocity.  This requires taking a 3 hour DC Fair Housing course and passing the DC portion of the PSI real estate exam. You will need certification of your VA or MD license.
Request Virginia certification of license- Click here
Fill out the VA form and send it by mail.

Request Maryland certification of license – Click here.
Log in to your MD license and request it online.

If you not licensed n VA or MD, but your are licensed in another state, you can still apply for a DC real estate license by endorsement application.  The steps are about the same, but you will need proof of your pre-license 60 hours in your state (135 hours for brokers). check the PSI website to be sure about updates or changes.  Washington DC uses PSI  testing service for the license exam.  Their website has a link to the DC candidate handbook (pdf).  Open that pdf and see the sections on reciprocity.  That has much of the information you need. But our summary may help.

How to get a recipocal license in DC:

Here is a summary of steps.
1. Take the required 3 hour DC Fair Housing course .  You can take the approved 3 hour Fair Housing course online.    The Fair Housing continuing education course is approved for satisfying the course needed for license by reciprocity.
2.  You will also need a certification of your license for each state where licensed. It must be an original and must be recent (within 90 days of application).   See below to request that certification for your currently licensed states.
3. Study for the DC portion of the official license exam.  You may take the online DC real estate exam prep course to study.   Sign up for the District of Columbia exam prep Portion Only.  There is a link on the DC Commission website that has the actual statute with laws and regulations.  You can use that, but it is very dry reading of DC laws in lawyer type language.  The exam prep is better.
4. Schedule the DC portion of the exam with PSI at You can also call them to schedule 800-733-9267.   You will need a copy of your current license to take the DC portion of the exam. Check for current requirements. Make sure you request only the DC portion of the exam and be sure it is for salesperson (or broker it that’s the case).
5. After passing PSI you can go to the DC site at and register for a new account. After approval you will then need to sign up with a licensed DC broker. Fill out the form and paying the DC license application fee.

Sign up for the 3 hour Fair Housing course online
The Fair Housing course is required for reciprocal license.

Sign up for the online DC real estate exam prep course
See the DC portion only course.  Use promo code if available.

Any questions?
DC Real Estate Commission at 866-270-9817 or
Or contact Act Web Real Estate School online or 703-476-1747

License Certification Request – for Virginia agents
*** You need to get your license certification from the state(s) where you are licensed.  For Virginia certification of license , use the DPOR certification request form on the VA Real Estate Board website. ($35)
If you are going to get both DC and MD near the same time, get a 2nd one for $5 more. 

If you are licensed in Maryland, log in to your MD Real Estate Commission website to find the form to request the Maryland real estate license certification.

If you are licensed in another state, request a certification from your state by contacting the state real estate board. 

DC Broker: Our instructor Paul Hartke is a licensed broker in VA, MD and DC. He is the principal broker of National Realty with agents in all 3 jurisdictions. If interested in joining his company, National Realty, or other questions, contact him here or call him at his office at 703-860-4600 ext 411.

If you are NOT licensed in Virginia or another state and wish to get a DC license, you will need to take the District of Columbia real estate pre-license course which can be taken with our online course here.